Friday, April 20, 2012

For Those Who Are Conflicted

I received an email from a reader and I wasn't going to blog on it but I changed my mind.

There are some people who were raised fundamentalist Christians and are conflicted because they also have a desire to learn and do hoodoo/rootwork/conjure.

For me at least, it came across as this person was wanting me to debate theology with her and convince her that there was nothing wrong with hoodoo and that one can be a fundamentalist Christian and a worker.  I will never do that.

If you are struggling with conflicted feelings then that is your struggle, not mine. I also will not be put in a position where I have to defend what I do. You don't have to do this. You have don't have to believe in this. You don't even have to read my blog.

The only thing I can suggest for those who are conflicted is that they need to do some soul-searching. I've never said that this is for everyone. If you were raised to believe this is witchcraft and that it is wrong then you need to work on that and overcome those feelings on your own. If you can't overcome those feelings then perhaps conjure work is not for you. Because those fundamentalist attitudes have no place in conjure work and I'm not going to be put in a position where I have to defend myself against your religious opinions only so you can later denounce me as a "false prophet". Yeah, I've seen this done in real life. It's not going to happen to me because I'm not going to allow myself to be set up like that.

Your beliefs are your own, not mine. I can't make your mind up for you. I won't even try.

Now, I will add that if you are conflicted and part of you thinks this stuff is evil then how successful is your work going to be? You can't want something and not want it at the same time. They will cancel each other out. That part of you deep down inside that says to you this is evil will indeed effect the success of your work. So you will need to do some soul searching and make up your own mind or find a middle ground for yourself. Or you may discover that conjure work is not right for you and that's fine too.

I'm going to touch on one more thing. In real life hoodoo/rootwork/conjure is not like it is online. In real life not everybody does the magic. Not everybody works with spirits. Many people only do healings and prayer work. Most people don't work with the saints or other spirits. Lots of people are actually against that. Finding your middle ground is finding what level of comfort you are at in the tradition and claiming your space. If you feel that working with saints or spirits is wrong, then don't do it. You wouldn't be alone. If you feel that the magic aspect is wrong, don't do it. Just stick to the healing and prayer work. You decide your middle ground.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did decide to write this entry, great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is way off topic, but I didn't know were else to post this. You should do a blog on the movie Skeleton Key. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it or if any real magic related to hoodoo was shown in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous,

    The Skeleton Key has nothing to do with real hoodoo/rootwork/conjure. It's just hollywood nonsense. I like the movie, but the movie combines hoodoo with voodou, presents it as witchcraft. It's just hollywood nonsense that preys off of the fears of being cursed or hexed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc what you say is true, my Mama God bless her soul; never burned a candle in her life. Everything she did was through prayer. She had a big problem with the Saints and with me burning candles. She excepted oil lamps but not candles. Momma Starr

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me tapers and/or stick candles seem not out of the ordinary, I used to be an acolyte in the church I grew up in and so did my sisters and my kids do it every once and a while as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People have been using candles for a long time. They dont bother me one bit. Sure the slaves didn't use them, but they have been used for a long time.

    ReplyDelete