Sunday, April 22, 2012

Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle, a.k.a. Japanese Honeysuckle, White Honeysuckle, is a vine with very heavily fragranced white flowers that grows all across the southern U.S. The vine flowers all throughout the mid-Spring and Summer. The white blooms will fade to yellow with age.

Honeysuckle vines will climb and dominate other bushes and trees. This fact combined with it's heavy fragrance makes honeysuckle a plant suitable for domination works. Honeysuckle fragrance has been included in many recipes for Bend Over spiritual products in the past.

Honeysuckle has traditionally been used to treat colds, flu, pneumonia, and to treat rashes and skin infections.

Personally, I love honeysuckle. My grandmother always grew it at her home and she would tell us as kids that if you pull out the pistol there would be a drop of honey. My sister and I would always do it, and often there would be a drop of liquid there, but it was never sweet. I think that belief came from the name of the plant. If you find a honeysuckle vine and would like to grow some at your house then they can be grown from cuttings. Simply cut off a good size stem with several leavees. Strip off the lower leaves and place it in a jar or vase of water and it will root. Then you can just transplant it where you like. I love honeysuckle and for me the smell of honeysuckle is a welcome reminder of Summer memories.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I too grew up with honeysuckle and did not know you could grow it from a cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lynn,

    You're welcome. If you are going to grow some make sure to use only the green, new-growth stems for cuttings and avoid anyn older, woody ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some honeysuckle growing outside of our house right now! I just taught my two year old about the sweet liquid inside. :) The honeysuckle that grows in our area has always been very sweet, so maybe it's a location based taste? We're in west Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous,

    I'm not sure. All I know is that I never tasted anything sweet from them.

    ReplyDelete