Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hoodoo Truth: How To Pronounce St. Expedite

Let me tell you a story.

About 7 or 8 years ago I called an online shop to place an order. I enquired about St. Expedite and pronounced his name right. The employee smirked and chuckled and proceeded to teach me the proper way to pronounce his name. Problem is she didn't know what she was talking about.

St. Expedite is not pronounced, "St. Ex-puh-dye-t". It's not pronounced the same as the word "expedite", as in, "Please expedite the package to Hong Kong". Instead, the proper pronunciation is St. Ex-pih-deet or Ex-pih-deet-us.

In fact, if you look at the Hyatt material you will see him referred to as, "St. Espedee" or a similar pronunciation which is just a corruption of the proper pronunciation.

Just thought I would share this since I know that a lot of people online don't know how to pronounce his name. Even professional workers get it wrong.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that one for sure. I always said it the wrong way. Lol. No wonder nothing I asked for got done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous,

    LOL...I'm not saying that it won't work if you don't pronounce his name right. It's up to him, not me, with what he agrees to work on or with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just teasing:-) I tried working with him once, so to be fair I didn't give him much of a chance. I have better results working with Saint Anthony.

      I've seen Saint Anthony work wonders I never thought could be achieved.

      Delete