Thursday, April 19, 2012

Isn't Hoodoo Witchcraft?

I received the following anonymous comment so I thought I would blog on it so that people can know.

"I'm going to play the devils advocate here, so try not to take offense, but where I am from Hoodoo, Conjure and Root work is scene as witchcraft and that using God or the bible for magic is the worst type of offense.

So this debate about being witches trying to infiltrate hoodoo is interesting. From what I am slowly getting from these blogs, is that a rootworker is like a shaman or healer in a sense?

Like in Africa witch doctor, isn't a witch, but one who fights witches. Is it that what the difference is?

Also another question. The bible clearly states not to fool with certain things pertaining to magic, so how is conjure apart of Christianity?"



Is hoodoo witchcraft? No it's not. However, it all depends upon how you are approaching it. If you are approaching it from the perspective of Fundamentalist Christianity, then yes, you will perceive it to be witchcraft.

While I'm on the topic of Fundamentalist Christianity let me state something that most of these people don't know. In the past the slaves were forced to attend church and were forced to listen to the preacher give sermons on how black people were cursed by God to make their skin dark and about how God wants them to be slaves and that slavery was a punishment for their sins of witchcraft (their native religions).

Going further I need to inform people that the institutionalized church was not behind the abolishment of slavery. Sure, some Christians were, but not the institutionalized church. If it were up to the church, blacks would be slaves to this very day. So the hypocrisy of white, Fundamentalist Christianity was thrown in the slaves face at every chance.

So to make this very clear, we don't give a damn what the institutionalized church has to say. We don't give a damn what Fundamentalist Christians have to say. We don't need their buildings, their hymnals, their choir, their preachers, their Sunday school, their Wednesday night service, their revivals, etc. We don't need none of that stuff. We got access to God directly.

Hoodoo used to be in the black church. In some places it still is. Do you know there use to be blacks who were both professional Preachers and Rootworkers? However, those damn marketers were successful in convincing people, even black people, that hoodoo was witchcraft and from then on it started to fall out of the church. What truly hurts me is the black people who know nothing of their history and who have simply bought into the white nonsense of hoodoo being witchcraft.

And I will say this, white people can't allow black people to have something that empowers them. They have to put a stop to that! They have to tear it down and destroy it, and so those same hypocrite preachers who taught that God wanted blacks to be enslaved were also saying that hoodoo was evil, that it was witchcraft.

I've already blogged on how true hoodoos are indeed witch doctors. Yes, true hoodoo is 100% against witches and witchcraft. And by witch I don't mean the twisted, warped definition the Wiccans put forth. I mean the evil doers, the people who are doing unjustified black magic against innocent people.

As far as the Bible's condemning of witchcraft, true. However, hoodoo isn't witchcraft. You see, the marketers, the Wiccans, and all kinds of people have twisted the definition of witchcraft around. Just because you are doing magic doesn't mean it's witchcraft. There's plenty of stuff in the bible of biblical figures doing magic and even divination without the stigma of being labeled "witches". In the future I will blog more on this. It will blow your mind to learn of just how much "magic" there is in the bible. Most Fundamentalist Christians don't know because 1.) they don't actually read the bible, 2.) They read the bible with closed eyes. It just goes right over their heads.

Thanks for the comment and I hope this clears things up.

19 comments:

  1. Your welcome. My family is southern and we are African American. I've heard two sides to rootwork and its confusing. On one side people say withcraft on another they're seen as healers.

    I will tell you two stories about the healing side pertaining to my family. My uncle used to have horrible seizures when he was a kid. They said my grandmother took him to a man that healed him, by placing two pennies on his eyes (and I am sure some other things too, but the pennies stood out to me)

    My great uncle was dying of syphillis and a relative of mine healed him as well. This relative was known to know rootwork.

    Now I have other members who say this is from the devil and know people who were killed or cursed by hoodoo, so to me it's confusing. But thanks again for responding and giving your perspective on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous,

    Well, I'll tell you that the old timers don't really use the term "hoodoo". I do, but they don't. The word "hoodoo" actually means "cursed, unlucky". The older folks know this. So even if a person is a worker and you ask them if they do the hoodoo, they will often deny it because they percieve it to be be that you are asking them if they are a witch and putting curses on people. That's the truth.

    And you are absolutley right about the healing. 99% of what people do in real life pertains to healing and not to "magic" per say. There are people who do works for healing and who have never burned a candle or carried a mojo in their entire lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My contribution. Indeed what the Bible condemns is black magic, that is unjustified, in fact there are specific expressions in both Hebrew and Arabic to say this. What happens is that translations are often very bad.
    Then there is the sense that certain words have for the natives that if not understood according to their spirit also leads to many errors. The magic is that which condemned not respect the will of God, in fact not even take into account, the Arabs call this shir, ie an act of sorcery, while the "white" magic call it, rouhaniat.
    Besides the magic (generally)is also forbidden socially due to risks and dangers may result, ie that it should not be open to all and the Torah is a code of social laws as well. Ancient traditions understand magic as a science or an art to selected people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Doc

    When these stories were told me as a kid, the usually said rootworker or worker. I didn't hear hoodoo until being online. I don't even think I heard conjurer, but I do remember rootworker very specifically.

    @geomant

    Honestly hoodoo has always confused when it comes down to using the bible. That's why I haven't really practiced because I don't want to offend God and I don't want to cross any lines that I shouldn't.

    But Doc is right and you are right. If we look in the bible alot of magic, prophecy ect. But also there is condemning certain things as well. This is what conclusion I have come to.

    It seems to me if your anointed or blessed ect by God then magic was permissible. And maybe I wouldn't even call it magic, but more" spiritual gifts". I think wording has alot to do with this as well.

    I also want to through something out here. Have you noticed that what is considered witchcraft, divination depends on who is doing it? For example Daniel. Daniel had the gift to see the future. But that's not condemed. But remember the girl who followed Paul and was telling him things about what was going on? She was rebuked.

    Another example Moses and the Pharoahs priest. Remember the battle of the serpants?
    what I am getting at is I think what is considered of God or not, depends on whose side your on and how you use the gifts your blessed with. Also it depends on who is giving you these gifts.
    Anyway just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous,

      Yep. Not only that but Daniel was the head-guy of King Nebuchadnezzar's magicians. Most people don't know that. You aren't going to make someone the head of the King's magicians if that person isn't a magician or isn't doing some type of magic.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous I think that magic according to the moral standards (as it presents Doc) does not offend at all to the will of God. Doc says, specifically, that black magic is a magical action unjustified either of attack or coercion. I think he is absolutely clear about this.
    In addition, some ban is for the use of demons and the hoodoo has nothing to do with it.
    The important issue is what does one do with magic and with what kind of forces it relates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really have something against the word" magic" and I think this is were people think hoodoo does not pertain to the bible and I can see why certain pagans, witches or whatever try to infiltrate the practice.

    When one thinks of magic and the bible, its not in a good way. And personally if people are using this and claim its through God, then I wouldn't call it magic, but maybe" works".

    I highly doubt any old worker would like to be told or asked if they are practicing magic. They would assume you are refering to witchcraft.

    I am from the South and I am Black and believe me, when my Dad thought I was fooling with" magic" I got told about myself .Even if I had suspicious candle burning in my room, he was questioning me.

    Now when I brought a book on Native American herbal healing, he didn't say a word and was actually interested. That tells me alot.

    I think for personally, I wont use the word magic when speaking about rootwork. Might even stopp using the word hoodoo as well. I just don't think it describes this right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous,

      I've blogged on this before. Most people do not have a name for the practice. It's just what is done. The word hoodoo is rarely used as it is viewed as a synonym for witchcraft by the older workers. Most people know roots or conjure, but for most workers it's just what they do. There's no name for it.

      Delete
  7. I need to retract what I wrote about Daniel. I meant to say Joseph. He was the one who could see the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous

      No, you're good. Daniel was a "magician" as well as he was pointed head of the King's magicians. There had to be a reason for that.

      Delete
    2. @ Doc

      Thanks for clarifying that. I always get confused. I'm sure thier is a reason for that. But look whose court it was. In their eyes and in those days, I wouldn't doubt out all that he was called a magician.

      But I don't think his or Josephs people would have called them magicians or sorcerers or anything else like that. again I am speculating bc I don't know much about the Jewish faith except for tidbits, but I don't recall anywhere, in the bible where any of these men (aside for the people they worked for) would call what they were doing magic.


      I don't mean to sound like when I say the word" magic" my lips pucker up, like I am sucking a lemon lol. It's just the way I was raised and I am still learning and trying to figure this stuff out.

      Delete
    3. Also sorry for all the grammer errors ect. I have a hard time typing on this phone.

      Delete
    4. @ Anonymous,

      Well, to each their own. I personally don't have a problem with the word "magic". And I need to caution people from falling into the Fundamentalist trap. We aren't fundamentalist Christians, even though some of us grew up like that. So it we aren't careful we could fall back into that way of thinking.

      Delete
  8. I guess I don't practice magic or "hoodoo", I practice whattodo. When it's raining outside, you take your umbrella. That's not magic. And, for the most part, "hoodoo" isn't either. It's what you do when [...] because the result is [...]. And that's it. You don't hope it works and wait for signs. When you drop a penny it will hit the floor, because that's what happens! The end. It's just the way the world works. It doesn't get *weird* till you have to "fix" someone or till someone had "roots" put on them. That's taboo. If you know about it you don't talk about it. No one will talk about it to you unless you're in a "crisis" and need help. No one will ask you about it unless they're in a "crisis" and they think you might know something good lol. Heck, it's not even called putting roots on someone unless it's perceived to be bad or nasty, or have a terrible outcome. You "fix" a person who has done you wrong (particularly when you suspect the person of using roots). You don't "put roots" on them lol, you "fix" them. A part from that, there is no name for it. Brown paper bags are used for more than writing name papers, and none of the uses are ever considered in anyway a spell of some sort or magical. It's just "what you do when..." I do know of at least one minister who is a "spiritualist" or something of that nature lol. Still, what she does doesn't have a name. She's just a minister who tells people what to do when...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ What To Do,

    Read my blogs and you will discover I've written pretty much the same thing. It's not about belief, it's just what you do. It's not "spells", it's works, jobs, remmedies, etc. And most people don't have a name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I wasn't posting in disagreement with you. I liked your entry and merely posted to share and cosign.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the bible it says acknowledge God in all your ways...so I look at as a offering to God an a ritual to the most high

    ReplyDelete