Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why Do I Charge People To Talk To Me Over The Phone?

I got this question today from a man who wanted me to call him. He added that his problem was complex and that it may take a couple of hours for him to explain it to me. He was upset when he learned that I would not call him and talk to him for free, that I charge $100 for an hour-long phone consultation or $50 for a 30 minute phone consultation.

So why do I charge money to talk to people over the phone? The answer is easy. Half of the people who contact me do not actually want to hire a worker. Instead, they just want somebody to talk to, somebody to confide their problems to.

When I first began to accept clients from online I was a pushover. I would spend hours talking to people on the phone whom I knew had no intent of ever hiring my services. They just wanted somebody to talk to. I simply cannot do this anymore. My time is valuable.

So the reason why I charge money for a phone consultation is to weed out the people who already know before they contact me that they do not want to hire a worker. If you want to speak to me over the phone you will pay for my time. Otherwise, I offer free email consultations because I can do these at my own leisure and when I have free time.

7 comments:

  1. People who ask for free advice will NEVER take it and follow it. But if you make them pay for it they will almost always follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Wendy,

    Thats the truth for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Wendy on this, if a person is willing to pay it shows they are serious about taking control of the situation and doing the changes needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you charge people over the phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually PayPal or they can mail in payment to me.

      Delete
  5. How does one set up a telephone call that would be paid through PayPal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me at MySecretHoodoo@mail.com

      Delete