Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Raining While The Sun Is Shining

This morning we had a heavy downpour that lasted about 15 minutes. The sun was shining the entire time. The leaves began falling from the tree in the yard like it was Autumn even though the temperature was still 97 degrees. It was very odd. I was reminding of a saying that my grandmother use to tell me, "When it rains while the sun is shining, the Devil is beating his wife". I've been told this saying is Germanic in origin. As far as I know we don't have any German blood in my family so it has to have been a saying that was spread. I know that the saying is popular in the South. Now, for those who might think that the saying is a glorification of violence against women, I can assure you it's not. In folklore the Devil is usually the one who gets beat by his wife who is far bigger and meaner than he is. Another term for when it rains while the sun is shining is 'sunshowers'. I think they are magical.

2 comments:

  1. My Mama says that every time! I always figured it was a Georgia thing...Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..Yep. It's real commen in the South.

      Delete