Friday, August 31, 2012

Warning Concerning 7 Day Candle Wicks & Wax

I'm pretty fed up with certain novena candles I use so that inspired me to write this blog as a warning for others.

There are three basic types of wick that you will find in 7 day glass candles. Those three types are the ones with the metal core in the wick, the unwaxed wick, and the waxed wick. I would not recommend burning candles that have the metal core wicks. The reason being is that when you burn them that metal burns up and is released into the air. The second type of wick, the unwaxed wick, is the wick that I find most annoying. I use a lot of Reed Candle Co.'s, 7 day candles. Almost all of their novenas or saint candles have the unwaxed wick. Burning this type is a royal pain in the ass. What will happen is that as soon as you light the candle almost all of the wick will burn up and only produce a very tiny, weak flame. If you are lucky, or about 50% of the time, that itty bitty flame will eventually grow over several hours into a normal flame. The other half of the time it will simply extinguish itself and you just wasted a candle.

Now, when this happens there are tricks you can do to try to salvage the candle. For one, with a long thin, preferably metal object, you can try to scoop away wax from the flame before it goes out. Another method you can use is to carefully insert a second wick. You can purchase wick and then just cut off a piece and using tweezers, carefully insert the wick next to the first one. However, usually what happens is that this is only a temporary fix and that as soon as the candle burns down past that second wick then it usually goes out. And remember, when the flame goes out like that, it's ruined and you have to start over.

I'm so sick of this! It gets on my damn nerves. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of wasting money on these types of candles. You can't read this as a bad omen because it's a defect of the candle wick. So I've decided I'm no longer purchasing these unwaxed wick 7 day candles. It's a shame because most of the novena candles come with these cheap wicks.

So I do recommend that if you are going to burn 7 day candles that you only purchase the kind that has a waxed wick. These wicks are given a wax coating prior to the pouring of the candle. So when you light these candles the wick is not immediately burnt away. Instead, the flame feeds off of the wax on the wick, which in turn allows time for the candle wax to heat up, liquefy, and properly feed the flame.

Just thought I would pass that on. And if anyone from Reed Candle Co., is reading this. I just wanted to say that I love your brand. However, you really need to discontinue the unwaxed wicks.

Also, I need to let people know about something. A lot of people don't like to use brands of oils like Anna Riva, 7 Sisters of New Orleans, or Indio oils, because its "chemicals" and not natural. I got bad news for you. Almost all 7 day candles on the market are made with wax that has been cut with the exact same chemicals to make the wax soft. It's a type of solvent that they use to mix into the wax and to dilute the oils. That's why these types of oils are so "liquidy" and not "oily". They flow like water because of the solvent used. It's why almost all 7 day candles have soft wax or otherwise they would be just as hard as a taper or pillar candles.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read back in your blog about this issue. I've had these exact issues myself. Any way when you buy a candle like this you can coat the wick in wax ourselves before the candle is set? Just an idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it. If you want to try it let me know how it went.

      Delete
  2. I've been searching for a while for 7 day candles and refills that are *not* made with paraffin or with wire-cored wicks. Locally this is impossible, and online I can only find paraffin wax candles. I've been thinking about trying to find (or even make) a mold for 7 day pullout refills and making my own. If they turned out well, I wonder if there would be much of a market for hand made natural candles of this type?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make soy wax 7 day candles but usually only in plain colors and nothing with labels, either paper, plastic, or silkscreen. So your best bet is to make it yourself if that's the kind you want.

      If you are talking about going into business on that issue, good luck. Most people aren't that picky with regards to candle wax.

      Delete
  3. Hello Doc,

    Do the Metal wicks tend to emit a blue burst of flame ? Just curious to know if it's the candle or a sign.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make candles but in mason jars and am totally fed up with the 7 day. Often I find that the wick is not centered to the candle is doomed from the start much less all the other issues. The refills have to made of votive or pillar wax because as far as I know. Soy is to soft to make a refill. I am looking into making me own

    ReplyDelete