Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Att: Voodou Crowd

I'm getting some nasty comments from people of the Voodou crowd. These people are ignorant of what hoodoo/rootwork/conjure is and they are claiming it as if it's theirs' and that I don't know what I'm talking about. Look, I'm real easy to get along with. I accept people who have different opinions. Believing something different than I do doesn't bother me in the slightest. People are entitled to their opinions. However, I don't put up with bull shit. Conjure work is not Voodou. People get caught up on the long-standing error of white academics that everything associated with Black spirituality is Voodou. It's not true. Yes, the use of the term "voodoo" by outsiders to refer to the practice is quite common. It's still doesn't mean that it's accurate.

Yes, both conjure workers and Voodou folks work with the saints. The difference is that in conjure work the saints are who they are. In Voodou the saints are masks for African spirits. So I got people on my other blog leaving me nasty comments, cussing me out, telling me I don't know a damn thing about Voodou when in fact I'm not even blogging on Voodou. I'm not a Voodou practitioner. I'm a conjure worker. I blog on conjure work, a.k.a. hoodoo or rootwork.

Finally, let me talk about "Black St. Martha". For some reasons this causes a lot of problems with people. "Black St. Martha" is NOT St. Martha. She is Lubana. She is a spirit associated with Voodou, especially 21 Divisions.

Lubana
http://www.ezilikonnen.com/dominican/filomena-lubana.html

Now, this will blow your mind. Some of the people who work with "Black Martha" will tell you that people have it all wrong, especially the uninitiated. "Black St. Martha", a.k.a. Lubana, is not the black woman holding the snake, but the snake itself! LOL I have written a blog entry on Lubana at the link below.

http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.com/2011/04/lubana.html

Now, for some reason Lubana has been identified with St. Martha but the "real" St. Martha was a Jewish woman, though in art she is portrayed as "white".

Look, I don't give a damn if you work with "Black St. Martha". It doesn't bother me. You do what you want to do. However, "Black St. Martha" is not St. Martha and never will be St. Martha. Just like Chango/Shango is not St. Barbara. In conjure work the saints are who they are. When we work with St. Peter or St. Anthony we are not working with Papa Legba or Eshu. We are working with St. Peter or St. Anthony. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment