Monday, August 12, 2013

Tools Of Conjure - Conjure Journal

My Conjure Journal 

For the longest time I was against keeping a magical journal because it was so similar to what Wiccans do. However, I've since changed my mind as I figure that in the future I will have family members who may decide to take up the practice and I thought this could come in handy for them.

I call it my conjure journal or my grimoire. You can call it your magical diary or journal, your conjure journal or workbook, or whatever you want to call it. Just don't call it a "Book of Shadows". That term is for Wiccans and the founder of Wicca, Gerald Gardner stole that phrase from the title of a book on divination with shadows.

What should you put in your journal? I would advise putting correspondences, such as for astrological, days of the week, colors, etc. You can also put info on roots and herbs, bible verses, info on saints and spirits, instructions for making mojos, dollies, info on how to work with candles, and recipes. Of course you can include your workings.

What you should not put in your journal: pentacles, how to cast a circle, how to invoke the goddess & god, the elements, the Wiccan Rede/magical karma, the sabbats, and all that stuff that belongs to Wicca. This book is for conjure work. Our tradition is older than Wicca and it should not be combined with Wicca in any way, shape, or form. Sorry, if this sounds harsh but Wicca is like the Borg of the magical community and if they are not kept in check they will assimilate hoodoo and claim it for their own, changing it and destroying it in the process.

You can purchase a pre-made journal or you can make your own. You can hand-write it or you can print it out and keep it in a three-ring binder. You can even use a spiral notebook if you want. You can even go completely digital if that is your desire.

I purchased mine from Oberon Designs. They have some really beautiful leather journals. You can also check out Amazon and EBay as well as occult shops for their selection of journals. I found a absurdly beautiful one I was going to buy. It was art deco but I found out at the last minute that it was cardboard and not leather so I passed on that piece. Too bad. A big hint, don't rush it. Start your journal with something inexpensive like a spiral notebook and then wait until the right journal comes to you and the you can just transfer the info to it if you like.

http://oberondesign.com/journal-covers/oberon-journals.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=Journal

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XJournals&_nkw=Journals&_sacat=0&_from=R40

http://www.13moons.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=446_447&zenid=d16bab7363af0c71115c2a4e452f243d







No comments:

Post a Comment