Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tools Of Conjure - Wand

A Couple Of Wands That I Made


Genesis 30:41 KJV
And it came to pass, whensoever the stronger cattle did conceive, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the cattle in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.

Exodus 7:12
For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

Wands are an ancient magical tool. Just about every single magical tradition throughout time and across cultures have used them. The reason for their use stems from their normal, everyday use. Wands, or rods, were used by normal people for personal defense at a time when knives and swords were often very expensive and were used to control livestock. This mundane usage reveals the way in which wands should be used in one's magic.

In conjure work, most workers of the past didn't use wands. Some workers did but they tended to be sticks used to draw symbols in the dirt. However, don't let this stop you from thinking you can't use a wand because you can. The key is to use it properly. Wiccans believe the wand is gentle and they use it to invoke nature spirits, such as fairies, that fear iron or steel. However, once one realizes the real reason for wands then one also realizes that wands are in no way gentle. Just as they are used to defend one's self and control animals they are likewise used to defend one's self and control spirits.

When working with my spirits, such as the saints, Father Black Hawk or White Eagle, etc., I do not use the wand. I don't need too and it would be rude and cruel for me to attempt to do so. Instead, I use the wand when I'm working on a person and I need to dominate and control that person.

Wands can be purchased or made. In the picture above is two wands that I've made. The top wand was a gift for my niece but she kept shattering the crystal tip. After fixing it four times I told her if she did it again I wasn't going to fix it as she needs to learn how to properly care for things. She broke it again within a few days and I kept my word. She then gave me back the wand. I won't share with my readers how they can make their own wands other than you will need a good straight portion of a stick and something to scrape or cut off the bark. You can use the picture to give you ideas on how to create a wand.

Now, I will share something to combat some nonsense being spread online. Many Wiccans will try to fool people into thinking that a wand must only be created by the practitioner and that it has to be wood gathered from a sacred tree, etc. In reality the ancients didn't keep to such views. In fact, some of the most powerful wands people used were metal, not wood! You know, "a rod of iron"! In fact, archaeological discoveries of Celtic and Germanic peoples revealed that they used a lot of metal rods, either as wands or in a form of divination. So there are no rules. If you feel a wand is right for you and it's not wood or even organic, so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment