Sunday, October 20, 2013

Just Got Back From Watching 'Carrie' - My Review



I ended up seeing the movie. So here's my review. I will begin with the routine spoiler warning.

SPOILER WARNING!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
First of all, let me state that Carrie and Christine are my two favorite books by Stephen King. Carrie has a special place in my heart because I know she is us, we are her. I know good and well that if I had that power at that age I would set this whole fucking planet on fire, burn it all down! I AM BECOME SHIVA and would rain death and destruction. Death is my gift! LOL Carrie is a part of all of us. Hell, she is Kali.

The movie starts out horribly. It begins with a very bad scene of Carrie's birth. It was unnecessary. It was just one of many poor choices from the director.

Chloe Moretz  is too pretty to play Carrie. She also lacks the emotional depth needed for the role. This is probably due to her age. As a result, Carrie is flat and one-dimensional throughout the entire movie. She fails to convincingly portray an abused/maltreated/bullied girl. It just comes across as pretending.

Julianne Moore is fantastic as Margaret White. Unfortunately her performance doesn't carry the film. Moore does a good job of bringing something new to the role and it shows. It's not easy trying to top Piper Laurie's perfect portrayal of White. Though Moore doesn't eclipse Laurie she still manages a wonderful performance.

The CGI is abused in this film. There is no build-up at all. Carrie is just super-powerful from the start. It crosses the line into the comical when she is able to fly and can split pavement with a stomp. Also, she becomes more like a witch as Chloe or the director decided to go away from Sissy Spacek's "mental power" using only her eyes to now the waving of hands. It makes Carrie look like a witch.

The prom scene had it's good moments but as a whole was horrible. The director decided to change the motivation from Carrie snapping from the pig blood to Tommy's death. That was another poor choice by the director. Sorry, but if someone dumps pig's blood on you when you are at your most vulnerable you are not going to register what is happening around you. Instead, you are going to freak out. It was a very bad decision. If that wasn't bad enough the director also changed it to only a few innocent people were killed. Most of the victims of Carrie were those who mistreated her. Again, horrible choice. The whole point of Carrie is that she is a monster. She began as a mistreated girl but she evolved into a monster. This totally destroys that.

The ending of the movie is horrible. The final shot is Carrie's gravestone cracking with an accompanying scream, all set to rock music. So how dead Carrie can pull this off is never explained.

I can't decide on giving the movie a C- or D. I want to give it a C- because at least it's not as bad as making one want to walk out of the movie. However, what ruined it for me is Chloe Moretz not having the emotional depth needed for the role. This movie in no way, shape, or form even comes close to being better than the 1976 movie. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie continue to reign supreme!

Note: This movie is a remake of the original 1976 movie and is not a new adaption of the book as we all were led to believe. Keep that in mind.

2 comments:

  1. Well i for one am glad you didn't have those powers at her age!!! LOL...
    I saw the original Carrie with Sissy Spacek when i was a teen in the early 80's... it scared the s*it out of me... Sissy Spacek was brilliant in it... but don't think I will bother with this one.. Stephen King is an awesome writer... I read his book IT - that too gave me the creeps.. very good though. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, IT the book was way scarier than the movie. But the ending of the book was soooo stupid. LOL

      Yeah, Carrie's been made into 2 theatrical-release movies, 1 made-for-t.v. movie, and even a musical. It's a classic and I just love that each generation falls in love with it. The only bad news is that there hasn't been a movie that is true to the book. The made-for-t.v. movie came the closest though. I would love for a movie adaption that kept the ending of the book, that would be awesome to see Carrie go on a rampage through town. I can even visualize her dying moment as her power like electricity arced from her body. The original 1976 is the by far the best movie so far.

      Delete