Thursday, November 14, 2013

Racism In High Fashion

Over the past couple of months you may have heard about this issue. Basically there are less working Black models today (2013) than say back in the 70s. The world of fashion has been devolving with regard to racial diversity and is now almost exclusively white. Most high fashion designer who have their own shows will either just have one token black model or as Naomi Campbell points out, "none". It's been like this for a very long time now. Asian and Black women are very under-represented in the world of fashion.







Now, as my readers may know, my niece is a model and her career is just taking off. Not only was she scouted for AmbercrombieHollister, is doing a show for Forever 21, but is now doing a shoot for breast cancer awareness. Anyway, she is bi-racial. Now, I love my niece and I don't even think of her as being "bi-racial", she's just my niece. But I will tell you it's really weird to see photographers and agents gush over her and say things like, "Oh, you can be all things and can play white and ethnic". Yes, she technically can but they can also get Black women to portray Black women.  I'm not sure why they would prefer bi-racial models when beautify comes in all shapes, shades, and sizes. Just saying. I do think there is a problem with this type of behavior in the world of fashion. As far as if I'm concerned, if you have the look, regardless of your race or heritage, you deserve a chance to make it. That's what's so bad about this situation is because there are many, many Asian and Black young women who do have the look and who can't get their foot in the door because designers are primarily using white models. It's time for a change.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, more black models both male and female. Especially those VS Angels.

    ReplyDelete