Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Extinction Of Malls Around The Nation

Below are some videos of a couple of malls that I grew up with and spent a lot of time at. They are dead or dying. It's a shame. I didn't upload the videos so kudos to the people that did.



As a child I went with my parents to Heritage Park Mall almost every other weekend. It was a really nice store and it was always packed. Today it's practically dead. The only shop left is Sears and a Church ended up purchasing the old Dillard's store. The roof caved in over most of the inner mall and it has been sealed off. So you can't even walk in the mall at all. I remember walking and looking at everything. I liked the plants and I think there was a water fountain there at one point. I remember Santa used to be there at Christmas time and I remember playing in the parking lot. Right next to the parking lot is a Whataburger I still frequent from time to time. Sad.



Crossroads Mall was the mall I spent a lot of my teen years at. It was a kicking place. In fact, it was so busy that a lot of people hated going there. At times it was so busy that it took you forever to just walk to different stores. You know how slow people take to move and I always got on my nerves as a teen. I always had this routine of fave stores I would visit, the Pet Shop, Walden Books, Spencer's, Eastern Treasure, Hot Topic, Candyopolis, and they had this cool art store that sold prints and paintings. I bought so many Marilyn Monroe and James Dean prints and posters from. Gosh, I would spend hours at Walden Books reading and usually in the section with the witch and paranormal stuff. Then it became a Borders. Then it closed.  It's just really sad.

Crossroads Mall was the mall that most people went to when they said, "Hey, let's go to the mall". I'm more upset that it is practically dead. It was beautiful. You can still walk around the place but it's just a matter of time before the last tenant leaves and the building is closed for good. Its a shame it's dead. It's the closest mall to where I live now.

Today we only have about 3 malls left in the general area, Quail Springs, Sooner Fashion Mall, and Penn Square. I still go to Penn Square when I want to go to the mall. Penn Square is more upscale type of mall. The other two are simply out of the way for me.

The extinction of malls is not rare. It's happening all across the nation. Strip malls and places where stores have lots of buildings grouped together seem to be the new thing but the malls of the 80s and 90s are going extinct.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, *Walden Books*!!! Back in the day! And don't even talk to me about Borders, I seriously went into a deep depression when they closed (soooo many fond memories of shopping there, in various locations).

    I wonder why "the Mall" is losing out to strip malls...though when I think about the local malls, they all charge for parking, where the strip malls don't. Of course, with online shopping, folks don't even need to leave there homes. Still, I need to try clothes and shoes off before I buy them (because I'm super lazy about returning stuff that doesn't work for me). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird. I don't think I've been a mall that charged to park. Even the malls here with parking garages don't charge. I just hate walking long distances and forgetting where you parked. I swear that growing up sometimes it seemed it took my mom and hour to find the car. I remember as a kid walking in circles in the parking lot.

      I honestly don't understand why malls are going exinct. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, going to the mall was like a form of entertainment, something you do with the family as well as with your friends. Eat in the food court. Watch a movie. Shop and window shop. Play at the arcade. It's just sad. New generations won't know what it was like back in the 80s and 90s.

      Delete