Monday, April 7, 2014

Reed Candle Co. Shrinks It's 7 Day Glass Candles

I use Reed Candle Co.'s 7 day glass candles for my clients in my practice. I just learned today as I was buying candles that Reed has shrunk it's candles. They are the same length but are now smaller in width than they used to be. This is for all of their 7 day glass candles and Novena (saint) candles. They even had to design new silk screen and paper labels for their candles because of the change.

Old, larger candles on the left and new, smaller candles on the right.

Old, larger candle on the left and new, smaller candle on the right.

Old silk screen label on the left and new silk screen label on the right. 


I'm worried that this is the new standard. These 7 day glass candles have already shrunk considerably from the 1990s. I blogged on this a couple of years ago, which you can ready by clicking HERE.  I'm also worried because this will change the time they burn. The 7 day candles were originally made with high quality wax which meant they burned for about 9 days, as in novena candles. Then companies switched to this lower quality of wax which shortened the burning time to about 4 or 5 days. I wouldn't be surprised if these new candles only burn for 3 or 4 days. I think it's a form of ripping off the customer. I would rather they increased the price and kept the same, ideally original size they used to come in, rather than shrink the candles to sell them for the same price. 

5 comments:

  1. I see your point and I agree. From my personal experience I tried the smaller candles from another supplier and I was much happier with the results than I thought I would. When they arrived I looked at them and I went: " Do you mean to tell me that I paid so much money and they are so small?" But the results I got after the ritual was completed were unbelievable. I believe it all has to do with "INTINTIONS" and "FAITH". Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that brand out here in CA. Just looked at their website and I like the silkscreens on the candles better than Indio's. No way to order though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a wholsaler and don't deal with the general public. Businesses who purchase from them have to buy the candles at the pallet size, no smaller. Even most small shops find it hard to do that.

      Delete
  3. I've been buying hoodoo candles for a client for over 5 years and Reed Candle's are still the biggest and best. Like PrincessSarah, my client threw a fit but we learned quickly that all companies downsized because of wax and glass costs. I agree with PrincessSarah it's all about the intention and offering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their black candles in glass suck. They burn horribly and leave a lot of black discoloration of the glass. It has to do with the dye they use. Also, their offertory candles stink to high heaven. I don't know why but if you ever smelled their offertory or stick candles you would know.

      Delete