Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Charms, Spells & Formulas by Ray T. Malbrough

So I recently re-read Ray T. Malbrough's book, Charms, Spells & Formulas. I had previously read it circa 1994, after checking it out at my local library. In the subsequent years I've pretty much forgotten the material it contained. So I was in for a shock when I re-read it. The book itself was first released in 1986. I have to say that poor Ray T. Malbrough is the victim of Internet workers stealing his material and presenting it as if they are the originator of the information, in an attempt to boost their own claims to legitimacy and to draw in business. I think that's a shame. Let me just go over the relevant information. Those in the know will automatically realize who the guilty people are who have stolen his material.

1. Lamps - Malbrough was talking about using magical lamps back in 1986. He even gives recipes for various magical lamps. I'm in no way saying that Malbrough invented the use of lamps in hoodoo. Instead, I'm just trying to let people know that he was talking about lamps far before most of the current Internet crowd began doing so.

2. Using Crawdad Dirt To Make Dollies - Yep! You guessed it. This information comes directly from this book and not from any Internet worker, despite how authentic they may claim to be.

3. The Beef Tongue Spell - Yep! Malbrough was talking about this back in 1986.

4. Sweetening Jars/Popsicle Stick Sweetening - Yep! Malbrough was talking about this in 1986. About 4 of 5 years ago a really big name in the Internet hoodoo crowd "shared a spell" that this person claimed they were taught back in the day. Interestingly, almost the exact same version of this spell can be found in this book.

5. Lemongrass for making Van-Van oil - Found in this book.

Now, I'm not going to sing the praise of Malbrough, as he wrote one book which is so horrible that I won't even mention it here. However, credit should be given to him for writing this book and the people who took this information and then tried to use it to prop up their own lies about authenticity should be called out on it. Now, where Malbrough really should be brought to task for is his removing of the Bible from the practice. You will find prayers in this book but he has removed scripture to make it appealing to Wiccans, which is a huge no-no. Hoodoo/roots/conjure doesn't belong to Wiccans and thus no changes should be made to it to accommodate Wiccans.

If you haven't read the book, pick up a copy. You probably won't be disappointed. Malbrough definitely had insider knowledge and remember, he was talking about this stuff long before others would try to steal it and claim it as their own material.

http://www.amazon.com/Charms-Spells-Formulas-Llewellyns-Practical/dp/0875425011

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, I give this book an 8. I took off a couple of points because the author dared try to change hoodoo to please Wiccans.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fab. book. Full of practical information.
    You can even do it. Have Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Malbrough is on my short list of Most Cherished Teachers.

    I can't fault his leaning a bit in the direction of Wicca. He's trained in those practices - and a number of Wiccans have told me they appreciate this, because his sellworks have encouraged them to think outside the box with good success.

    But for his Thw Magical Power Of The Saints, I would be deficient in the Bible's powerful effect in magic. He introduced this us so gentle a way that my then strong objections to all things Christian were nudged aside and new doors opened wide both to my effectiveness in magic and an expanding of my faith journey way outside my "lines".

    Thank you, Doc Conjure, for your sincere recommendation of this oft- maligned fellow.

    ReplyDelete