Friday, June 6, 2014

Magnolia

The Magnolias are in full bloom. Saw so many trees today just covered in blooms. For those who don't know what I'm referencing, it's Magnolia grandiflora, a.k.a. Southern Magnolia. It's an evergreen tree that grows here in the South. Each year in the Summer it produces these humongous white flowers that have an intoxicating scent. They are very beautiful and they are also my grandmother's favorite flower. Anyway, a bit of trivia is that Magnolias evolved far before bees did. Because of this, their flowers are designed for beetles to pollinate. Isn't that interesting?

Magnolias are use in conjure work to promote a happy, faithful marriage. The leaves are placed under the mattress. The flowers can be picked and set in water overnight. Just make sure that you shake off any beetles that may be in the flower before placing it in water. The water is then sprinkled around the house at dawn to promote a happy marriage.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this clip on your blog. I love Magnolias. It is the time of festive celebration and beginning of LOVE, peace, joy, harmony, faithfulness, desire and life.
    When I was growing up, I always hanged around my neighbors garden. She had the most beautiful garden I known at that time. Now, I do not think she had any allergies. Now, she is dead. I still remember, she had every species of flowers, roses, magnolias, shreds, and grass. I was so young I look at it and go "OOOOHHHHH, it is so pretty. Daddy can I have one like this too." My daddy laughs out loud and says to me, "Of course, Princess. For you everything is possible." My dad was a civil engineer, he worked for a big company. I love you dad. I miss you dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a magnolia next door, not a southern magnolia, but one that grows in California. It's bloom are proliferant and it smells amazing still.

    ReplyDelete