Saturday, March 11, 2017

Jezebel Impostor! -or - The 3 Irises of Conjure Work



Recently, I was so sick of not being able to easily find a good supply of Jezebel root that I decided to grow my own. As you may know, what many people are selling as Jezebel root is just bark mulch. This is outrageous because there is absolutely no reason to substitute as Jezebel root is not rare, nor expensive.  So I looked online and found a seller offering a lot of 12 Louisiana Iris rhizome cuttings (what Jezebel root is) for relatively cheap. There was only one problem. The listing was for "Louisiana Walking Iris". There's no such thing. There's Louisiana Iris and Walking Iris, but they are completely different plants. Walking Iris isn't even a true iris but just has flowers that resemble irises.  Despite this nonsensical name, I purchased them. The seller was a fast shipper and when they arrived only one rhizome had evidence of rot, but it didn't have any root or leaf growth, so I simply tossed it. I was impressed and reached out to the seller to see if she happened to know the taxonomic name for this. She did not. However, she did have a picture. As soon as I saw the pictures I immediately thought, "Ah, man. That's not Louisiana Iris, that's Blue Flag." So yeah, what she was selling as "Louisiana Walking Iris", was neither a Louisiana Iris, nor a Walking Iris, but was classic Blue Flag (Iris virginica), which grows all over the South, from Oklahoma and Texas to the east coast and all the way up into Canada. I then asked her where she obtained these and she said she got them years ago from a nice lady in Texas who said they grew wild on her property. So yeah, it's Blue Flag. Despite this not being Louisiana Iris I'm not upset as I already planned on getting and growing Blue Flag. It's just that I didn't need to buy any as it grows wild in my area.

You can see the range of Blue Flag at the link below:

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=IRVI

In conjure work we use 3 types of Irises. Those types are:

1.  Orris Root/Queen Elizabeth Root 



This is primarily Iris germanica, or Bearded Iris. However, Iris pallida may also be used.

Orris Root/Queen Elizabeth Root is the female version of John the Conqueror Root. So with the name "Queen Elizabeth Root", we get a sense of a woman ruling over subjects, specifically men. All female workers and practitioners should have one or use it. It's good for love drawing, specifically attracting a male lover, and for female domination over men. For lesbian and bisexual women, Queen Elizabeth Root can be used to attract a more dominate lover. Unlike with John the Conqueror Root, Queen Elizabeth Root doesn't really have a lot of lore about it being good for gambling or money drawing.

As Orris Root it has a very long history in perfumery, used primarily in the powdered from and in tinctures. Orris Root was preferred because of it's floral fragrance that is said to be similar to violets. Orris Root/Queen Elizabeth Root is non-toxic, so it can be secreted into a lover's food, in order to rule over him, if desired.

A whole Queen Elizabeth Root can also be made into a pendulum. I made one and used it for a time but felt like it really didn't want to be working with me, since I'm male. So I ended up thanking it and burying it.

2. Blue Flag



Blue Flag is known by a number of taxonomic names, such as Iris virginica and Iris versicolor. It ranges mostly in the Eastern portion of the U.S., from Oklahoma and Texas, moving to the East Coast and up into Canada. Up North it is called "Northern Blue Flag" (Iris versicolor). It does not grow in Northern, New England. Blue Flag is always blueish-violet color, though sometimes it may be a bolder color or lighter color. There is another wild iris that some may confuse for Blue Flag, that of Yellow Flag, or Iris pseudacorus. Here in Oklahoma we call Yellow Flag by the name of "Ditch Lilly", as that is where it loves to grow, in ditches. Both plants love water and prefer to grow by water. Blue Flag has some medicinal qualities but its mostly used for money drawing. I was once asked why it was used for money drawing. I really don't know. The only thing I can think of is that it reproduces very quickly and so may have been viewed as "prosperous". Blue Flag is my favorite money drawing root to use in conjure. I like Bayberry root but I prefer Blue Flag root. Blue Flag is toxic, so not safe for consumption.

3. Jezebel Root



Jezebel Root is any of five species of iris native to Louisiana, including; Iris fulva, Iris hexagona, Iris brevicaulis Iris giganticaerulea, and Iris nelsonii. Any of their hybrids are also acceptable. Many people are confused by the name Louisiana Iris. They may think that any iris that grows there is a Louisiana Iris, which is not true. For example, both Blue Flag and Yellow Flag grow there but they are not members of Louisiana Irises.

The magical uses of Jezebel Root are quite similar to Orris Root/Queen Elizabeth Root. Jezebel Root is used for female domination and to attract a male lover. Unlike with Orris Root/Queen Elizabeth Root, Jezebel Root does have the reputation of money drawing, primarily by getting men to give money to a woman. It is used by prostitutes to attract male clients. It's apparently becoming popular with gay men who want to attract a more dominant lover. Also, I'm hearing and reading more online from waitresses and strippers who claim it softens customers up and makes them more generous with their tip giving.

Jezebel Root is also used in the famous "Curse of Jezebel".
http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.com/2011/04/jezebel-root.html


So, I got me a whole bunch of Blue Flag that I planted today. Again, I'm not upset it's just I didn't need to buy it but could have harvested it in my area. Now it's time to purchase some Louisiana Iris so I can grow me some "Painted Whores" (my favorite name for them) and harvest my own Jezebel Root.

Below is an article I've found about "impostors" that people may confuse with Louisiana Iris:

http://zydecoirises.com/Imposters/Imposters.htm

3 comments:

  1. I must say, this is a very interesting blog post. I'm quite the plant fanatic, so I really dig the information.

    I'm actually trying to grow a morning glory relative of high john, named, 'man of the earth root' (Ipomoea pandurata). It's native to the U.S., and I swear that it has the same exact energy signature as high john (Ipomoea jalapa). I can easily believe that conjure workers used pandurata back in the day. I also want to try growing master root.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not for pocket pieces as the root of man-of-the-earth is gigantic. It can be cooked and eaten and is often called wild potato or wild sweet potato.

      I just ordered Solomon Seal and will be growing some of that this year. I also bought Sassafras but was like, Why did I do that? It grows everywhere here. Growing Master root seems cool.

      Delete
  2. I'd probably cut up the man of the earth root, and use it in pocket pieces.

    Solomon's Seal and Sassafras are good culinary plants. Solomon's Seal is supposed to be sweet as food. It's an excellent root for joints and muscles.

    Master Root is one of those elusive plants. It's quite hard to find authentic seeds for the plant. I'm also on the hunt for authentic Abre Camino plants.

    ReplyDelete