Friday, March 17, 2017

Saying Goodbye to "Salem"



WGN's witch-themed show, Salem, has officially ended. The notice of its cancellation was made mid season three and the last episode aired in January. I just finished the last episode.

I will be honest and say that I had high hopes for this series. I loved that it was based on real witches, the type that people actually believed in. (I like my witches evil!) The show involved a coven of witches who were attempting to summon Satan and bring about the apocalypse in hopes of creating a new nation populated only by witches.



The special effects were superb and a great deal of research went into its creation. Not only was the show historically accurate but its portrayal of witchcraft was spot on, including depictions of being "hag-ridden".

Of the three seasons, season 1 is my favorite. Unfortunately it declined a bit in season 2 and then season 3 was just really odd. Although I understood what they were trying to do with the ending I would like to have seen it done a bit more differently that how it went down. I'm ultimately left thinking that had this show aired on a different network, perhaps HBO, even, then it would have fared far better. I just hope that this series inspired possible other witch-based shows that may air in the future.

If you have yet to see the show you can find it on Netflix or other sites online. It's worth a watch



No comments:

Post a Comment