Sunday, June 11, 2017

Magical Fortune Teller Miracle Fish!



I decided to pay a visit to my local occult shop and was delighted to pick this up. I haven't seen these since my childhood! It's a magic Fortune Teller Miracle Fish. In actuality it is a piece of cellophane that has been cut in decorated in the form of a fish. To use it you simply place it in your hand and it magically begins to move. You then divine the movements by the information provided on the back of the package it comes in. Below is the chart:

Moving Head...............Jealousy 
Moving Tail.................Indifference
Moving Head and Tail.........In love
Curling Sides...............Fickle
Turns Over...................False
Motionless...................Dead One
Curls Up Entirely.........Passionate

These cheap novelties make really cool gifts to kids. I bought a bunch to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas this year. 

You can purchase your own at the following link:


This one I purchased has gold foil-like decorations. This is different than the plan red ones that I remember from my childhood. 

I always assumed that the miracle fish worked by body temperature. However, according to this site below it actually works based on moisture (sweat) on your skin.


I also found this vintage video clip on YouTube where a man makes his own miracle fish. I'm not sure when this was filmed but it looks to be sometime in the 1970s. Was this the inspiration behind creating and marketing these novelty toys? 


No comments:

Post a Comment